Saturday 25 July 2009

What is to be done?

Nick:

After spending the last half a year researching and being very much involved in the Ghost Bike project as I create a book I have been moved by the unity within the cycling community not just on this forum but all over, while documenting and collating data I have decided to put across an idea.

I believe we should have a date set in our diaries where everyone takes part in a memorial ride in Central London. The point of the ghost bikes is not just as a memorial to that specific cyclist but to serve as a reminder and a memorial to all cyclists who have died. I believe this is what the ride should do as well, not only serve as a time to reflect on the vulnerablility of cyclists but also hopefully raise awareness.

I believe that if we implement a dress code such as black suits then this would be a striking image to see, and somehow have the names of the people who have been killed on the roads in London displayed throughout. I am aware that this idea is not very structured but I think it is something we should do, and I think that the Eilidh memorial ride touched so many people that we need to do this. Just an idea, open to discussion

This excellent idea will get no support whatsoever from the cycling-is-safer-than-you-think 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' London Cycling Campaign.